Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Tuscan Panzanella

I made Tuscan Panzanella for dinner last night.  I really wasn't all that impressed with it.  The flavoring was good but I am  not much for soggy bread.  In step 1, it tells you to moisten the bread thoroughly, drain and squeeze dry.  I couldn't get it to squeeze and there was no water to squeeze out. 
I would squeeze and the water would come out but the minute I let go, the bread sucked it back in. I was afraid of using too much water so I left it.



Tuscan Panzanella
Serves 4

1 (8-ounce) loaf day-old Italian bread,
    cut or torn into large chunks
4 Tomatoes, peeled and chopped
4 Celery stalks, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsps red wine vinegar
4 Tsps extra-virgin olive oil
2 Garlic gloves, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup chopped basil

1.  Put bread in large bowl and pour enough hot water over to moisten bread thoroughly; let stand until evenly soaked, about 3 minutes.  Drain and squeeze dry; discard water.  With your hands, tear bread into smaller pieces.

2.  Toss together all ingredients except basil in serving bowl until well mixed.  let stand until tomatoes release some of their juice, about 15 minutes.  Add bread and basil; toss to mix.

So, I did not have fresh basil or fresh parsley so, I used 8 tsps. of parsley flakes and 2 tbsps. of dried basil.

The recipe also says that serving size is 2 cups.  I put 1 cup serving on my plate and it was HUGE.

PER SERVING ABOUT 2 CUPS:  324 grams, 262 Cal, 7 g Total Fat, 1 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 0 mg Chol, 683 mg Sod, 43 g Total Carb, 7 g Total Sugar, 5 g Fib, 7 g Prot, 110 mg Calc.

PointsPlus value: 7
Smart Points value: 8

HEALTHY EXTRA
Stirring in 12 oz. of diced cooked skinless boneless chicken breast into the salad will increase the per serving value by 3 pts.  


JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP AT:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/losingitwithww/

FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST AT:  
https://www.pinterest.com/losingww/

FOLLOW MY BLOG AT: 
http://loseitwithww.blogspot.com/

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER AT:  https://twitter.com/LosingWithWW

No comments:

Post a Comment